- Cook Time: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
The whole family will enjoy this taco flavored casserole.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c. crushed tortilla chips
- ¼ c. water
- ½ c. diced red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter OR margarine
- ¾ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 pkg. Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- ½ c. milk
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 envelope yeast, rapid or quick rise
- ¼ c. diced green onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ c. (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream for garnish, optional
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet until cooked through; drain. Prepare taco meat according to taco seasoning mix directions. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter to very warm (120° to 130°F). Pour into flour mixture; add eggs. Beat for 30 seconds with electric mixer to combine. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 3/4 cup flour to make a stiff batter. Stir in cheese, bell pepper and green onion. Spoon half the batter into a greased 8 x 8-inch pan; top with taco meat. Dollop remaining batter over the taco meat. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray and let rise in a warm, draft free place 40 minutes or until doubled.
- Top with tortilla chips. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot and top with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream, if desired.